Jul 19, 2015

"Ever Near" by Melissa MacVicar

  
Title: Ever Near

Author: Melissa MacVicar

Series: Secret Affinity, #1

Publisher: Red Adept Publishing, LLC

Publication date: September 11th, 2013
 
 
My rating: 3.5 of 5
 
 
(Book read on July 18th to 19th, 2015, from the review copy received from the publisher, in exchange of an honest review.)

 
 

 Summary:



Love is ever near. But trouble is never far.

Nantucket Island is haunted, but only sixteen-year-old Jade Irving knows it. Ignoring the disturbing spirits isn’t an option, because one dwells in the enormous historic home she shares with her newly blended family. Jade is finding it more and more difficult to explain away Lacey’s ghostly, anguished tantrums, especially with Charlie, her gorgeous, almost step-brother, living right across the hall. 

When a power-hungry ghost hunter tracks down Jade and blackmails her, Jade’s secret teeters on the edge of exposure, and her entire future hangs in the balance. If anyone finds out Jade can talk to ghosts, her life will be forever changed. 

Can she save herself, free Lacey, and hang on to her tenuous connection with Charlie? Or will everything she ever wanted slip through her fingers?
  
 
  

My Thoughts on the Book:

 
 
Ever Near is one of those ghostly stories that will keep you interested & that just has that mysterious allure when it comes to that type of stories.

I really enjoyed the setting of the story. It being set on Nantucket Island, and all the scenes that happened on the beaches & the water made me long for a vacation, especially on these extremely hot summer days, so it's the perfect summer read. 

I didn't really connect with the characters. I mean, they were ok, I didn't dislike them, I guess they were likable enough, and the romance was ok, but I don't know... But, that didn't stop me from enjoying the story. I loved the ghostly part of the book, and learning about Jade's past when it comes to ghosts, I really felt like I knew her. 

It was a fast read, and even though I didn't find this book to be scary, if I was Jade's shoes, I would probably be scared to death. The things she has to endure...  And even though it was a little bit predictable, I still enjoyed the journey.

Overall, Ever Near was a nice paranormal YA read that I enjoyed quite a lot, with a good mystery, characters & ghosts, and good writing style, and I'm interested in reading more. The sequel sounds quite interesting. So, I recommend this book to every fan of YA ghostly stories! 


 

Challenges:


- 2015 TBR Pile Reading Challenge
- COYER Scavenger Hunt
: #2 - Book with a cover that is at least 51% blue. 

1 comment:

  1. Not sure about this one, sounds interesting, but is there romance between the girl and her step-brother? Cause that just sounds eww. :)

    ReplyDelete