Sep 22, 2012

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline



Title: Ready Player One

Author: Ernest Cline



My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read from  my own PB copy.)

Summary:


 
Imagine the WORLD AT STAKE. 
 
An EPIC STRUGGLE between good and evil. 
 
The GREATEST QUEST in history. 
 
The FATE OF HUMANITY resting in your hands. 
 
ARE YOU READY?


It's the year 2044, and the real world has become an ugly place. We're out of oil. We've wrecked the climate. Famine, poverty and disease are widespread. 
 
Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes this depressing reality by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia where you can be anything you want to be, where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade is obsessed by the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this alternate reality: OASIS founder James Halliday, who dies with no heir, has promised that control of the OASIS - and his massive fortune - will go to the person who can solve the riddles he has left scattered throughout his creation. 

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that the riddles are based on Halliday's obsession with 80s pop culture. And then Wade stumbles onto the key to the first puzzle. Suddenly, he finds himself pitted against thousands of competitors in a desperate race to claim the ultimate prize, a chase that soon takes on terrifying real-world dimensions - and that will leave both Wade and his world profoundly changed.




My Thoughts on the Book:



OMG, ok now, so, where to start? Can I say anything more about this amazing book that hasn't been said before? Probably not, but I can always try ;) 
 
Ready Player One is a book that EVERYONE MUST READ, being adult or teen, or even a child. I know I would've loved this as a child. It's just pure awesomeness. 

I've always loved games & books and movies full of quests and adventure, and I grew up on all things 80s (I was actually born in the late 80s, so I was growing up in the 90s, but as a child I loved watching the 80s movies & the music, etc, and I played lots of games, so I think I got the best of both the 80s & the 90s), so, this book was like a heaven to me!!! 
So, to quote Patrick Rothfuss: 
"This book pleased every geeky bone in my geeky body. I felt like it was written just for me." 
- that's exactly how I felt while reading Ready Player One. 
I have to admit that until I read this book, I hadn't realised how big of a geek I am :) and that was actually a pleasant surprise :D 
But, even if you've never been a fan of games or sci-fi books, or even know a lot about the 80s, that doesn't matter, believe me when I tell you, you will still love this book. 
 
For me, this was actually a re-read. I read it last year from galley, and I loved it, and it was definitely one of the best books I read in 2011, so of course I bought myself a copy this year, and when I read it again, I loved it even more, even though I thought that's not possible. If someone asks me for the best book in 2012 I've read, including re-reads, without a doubt my answer would be Ready Player One, and surprisingly I've read quite a lot amazing books so far this year, and I have re-read lots of my favorite books, so yeah, this coming from me is quite the recommendation! 
 
Now, a little bit about the story. From the beginning I've started this book, I was wrapped up in the world the author had created - both the virtual, and the real one. The real world isn't pretty, but the OASIS is amazing and breathtaking, and out of this world. Just imagine every book you've read or game you've played and the worlds in it and to be able to visit those worlds for yourself, whole planets of all that, definitely mind-blowing. Don't get me started on what Wade had to do in the second gate - I'm not telling you, because it will be quite a spoiler, but I've never thought about something like that, and the "thing" the author have chosen, definitely one of my alltime favorites, so yeah, I was blown away when that happened, I wish I could do that... 
Anyway, this book is full of quests and suspense and danger and adventure and it kept me both sitting on the edge of my sit & biting my nails while reading it (even while re-reading it), and having fun & loving every second of it, such a pure awesomeness.

And the characters. Wade is definitely one of my alltime favorite characters, he's so amazing. He had always had a tough life, but he's so smart & resourceful & brave, and you can't help yourself, but cheer him on & love him as a character. And I liked a lot all the secondary characters, they were all so fun & lovable. 
 
So, Ready Player One has an amazing world, amazing story, amazing main & secondary characters, vicious villains, it's a heaven for everyone even a little bit geeky, and it's quite an adventurous journey you'll want to take again & again.     

So, do I recommend Ready Player One? What do you think?! ;) I've said it once, and I'll say it again - Ready Player One is a book that I think everyone will love, and must read, no matter what age they are, so I highly recommend it to everyone!


Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment